Monday, September 8, 2008

We Want More.

(If it seems a bit random and un-flowy, It's late and my brain is fried. Bear with me. Thanks - Brian)

"Thou has created us for Thyself, and our heart is not quiet until it rests in Thee." - St. Augustine

We hunger. Simple fact. I'm not talking about a simple craving for an In N Out Double Double. I'm talking about a deep hunger inside of us. We fill our time with toys, fun and assorted items. But is that really enough? Can you honestly say wholeheartedly that "I am satisfied." Can you think that?

There's a reason why Augustine's quote preceeds this post.

You see we could chase the world, pursue all of our desires, and yet feel inherently empty. I think Christ says it best in Matthew 16:26 - "For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his life? Or what shall a man give in return for his life?" Jesus asking a rhetorical question here. It will profit you NOTHING, to pursue other worldly desires. You will never be satisfied.

In Haggai , the Israelites' blessings are taken away and everything they try to do for themselves could not give them the filling they needed. "You have sown much, but harvest little; you eat, but there is not enough to be satisfied; you drink but there is not enough to become drunk; you put on clothing, but no one is warm enough; and he who earns, earns wages to put into a purse with holes." (Haggai 1:6) As they tried to create comfort for themselves with lesser things on this earth rather than the Lord of Creation, no longer could they be pleased with anything they had done. No longer could they forget God in the dust. No longer could they deny Him. How foolish would they be for them to continue?

"As a deer pants for flowing streams,
so pants my soul for you, O God.
My soul thirsts for God,
for the living God...Why are you cast down, O my soul,
and why are you in turmoil within me?
Hope in God; for I shall again praise him,
my salvation and my God." (Psalm 42: 1-2,11)


The Psalmist compares our longing to be satisfied in him with a thirsting deer. He cries out to God. He desires to be quenched with this Living Water. Our souls desire to be with God. Is this our prayer? Is this our cry? Do we hunger for this?

Our bodies hunger. They growl. Not for food, but to be satisfied in God our Lord. We need more than what we think we need. We Want More.

1 comment:

kazbell said...

Wow Brian!

That's awesome that you have this concept. I didn't learn really till I was about 18 and it is still and everyday process. :)